In readiness for the papal visit between 21st of September to 27th of September, our hotel is esteemed to prepare a detailed guide to the key places you can visit while in Philadelphia. This guide is for you; you may be on your first visit or subsequent ones. You may be in Philly primarily for the coming of the Pope, but you may also want to explore what all else is around you, therefore, a guide of the key places you may need to visit is essential.
Make Your Own Historical Papal Visit
These are some of the most iconic places to see while in Philadelphia:
- The Rocky Steps and Rocky Statue: The Art Museum steps have been declared as the second most famous. Not just in the U.S.A but in the whole world. Apart from visiting the place, you can take a picture while at the top, record a video or even climb the steps. It can offer the best opportunity to keep the best memories of a place synonymous with Philadelphia.
- The Betsy Ross House: Famously known for being the origin of the first American flag. Thanks to one woman,
Betsy Ross, who made that possible. During the visit, you will be in a position to come across some of her souvenirs including a snuffbox and the family bible. You will also interact with the several audios of Betsy Ross that are available.
- Reading Terminal Market: The place is just amazing based even on the description of the various individuals who have previously visited the place. The oldest farmer’s market in Philadelphia, it is best well known for its provision of all types of food from all corners of the world, both cooked and fresh. The market is well served by all the best available cooks from the local restaurants.
- Independence National Historical Park and the Liberty Bell: Talk about the origin of the American democracy, its origin is traced back in the INHP (Independence National Historical Park).Over 3.5 million visitors tour the Park annually. The majority of the visitors are normally interested in the Liberty Bell. The Park forms a resourceful information center for the millions who need to understand the American history. The famous Historical bell was used in the Pennsylvania Assembly.
- Independence Hall: The place was known for the declaration of the American Independence and the American Constitution. It requires tickets for admission. Free, walk-up tickets are available at the Independence Visitor Center. If you want to avoid walk-up tickets; you may consider the getting timed tickets. They are available on an online or by phone.
- Independence Visitor Center: It is the most conducive place to start your visit in the historic and exciting Philadelphia. Why? It boasts a proximity to some of the key points you may not want to miss during your visit. Some of the places include; Independence Hall, The National Museum of American Jewish History, Liberty Bell Center and the National Constitution Center. The presence of a knowledgeable and resourceful staff will provide you a detailed description of the history of the area, the social culture of the people, orienting you, where to dine and shopping places. You will be furnished with details of where to go, what you will see and the means to get to that place in question.
- Valley Forge National Historical Park: If you love history, biking, picnics and biking, then the well set-out well-torn Trail and the rolling hills of the Valley Forge will give you a fantastic experience. Apart from the large expanse of land, the buildings, statues and monuments that date back to 225 years of American history gives the Forge a natural touch of the past making it a hot point stop over for most of the families.
- The Philadelphia Zoo: A unique creation of Zoo360 has given the opportunity to the animals to roam in the
open, and this offers a clear view for most of the visitors. Set out on the expansive 42-acre Victorian garden with formal shrubbery, ornate iron cages, animal sculptures and tree-lined walks.
Make The Most Of Weekend In The City
The weekend the Pope is in town is set to be a very busy weekend in the city. Read our previous post about what to expect this weekend here. It is advised that you plan what and where you want to go meticulously, in order to make the most of the weekend and enjoy being a part of the crowds.