For many cities across the United States, Memorial Day marks the start of summer, and Philadelphia is no exception. In one of America’s most history-rich cities, there are so many things to see and do, you’ll probably want to take the whole weekend to pack in all the sights and sounds. Here are just a few Philadelphia events that you won’t want to miss this Memorial Day weekend.
Memorial Day For The Art Lover
- Downingtown Fine Arts Festival: What better way to kick off the summer with a festival of arts, food, fun and entertainment for all ages, all in the open air of the streets in one of Philadelphia’s most scenic suburbs.
- Creative Africa: In the storied halls of the Philadelphia Museum of Art, this exhibit celebrating the tradition, art and culture of Africa runs until September 25th, but Memorial Day weekend is the perfect time to beat the heat and come in to marvel at African artifacts and artwork.
The History Buff Celebrations
- The National Constitution Center: One of America’s most treasured documentations of our country’s history, the Constitution center holds an annual Memorial Day celebration offering special programming in honor of U.S. veterans. The whole family can take part in this collective celebration of meaningful sacrifice and thanks.
- Laurel Hill Cemetery’s Memorial Day Service: For a change of pace, join this historic, peaceful cemetery for its celebration of lives lost in past wars, with speeches, the laying of wreaths and more.
For the Sports Fan
- Phillies Baseball: Around Memorial Day, baseball season is starting to heat up and the city rallies around their beloved Phillies. Experience the passion and get in on the action with tickets to a baseball game; Memorial Day is First Responders night at Citizens Bank Park, where the city celebrates its police officers, firefighters and EMS heroes.
- NCAA Lacrosse Championships: At Philadelphia’s Lincoln Financial Field, experience the game that drives the east coast wild, with the Men’s NCAA Lacrosse Championships and witness the battle for the team that will hold the title until next year.
Social Butterfly Experiences
- Chinese Lantern Festival: This year, the city is hosting a brilliant Chinese Lantern display and festival to mark 10 years of Franklin Square. Arts, entertainment, and regional food and beverage highlight this nighttime celebration of the far east.
- Franklin Flea: Shoppers, start your engines! One of the most popular Philadelphia events is returning this year; a curated, outdoor goods market featuring handcrafted and unique items from many of the cities finest craftspeople and most innovative artists. Even if you don’t want to buy, you won’t want to miss the sights, sounds and food at this fantastic event.
- Spruce Street Harbor Park: Philadelphia’s finest urban beach location returns this year to welcome Memorial Day tourists in style, including an active plaza featuring food, drink, entertainment and plenty of opportunities to make new friends in the City of Brotherly Love.
- RiverRink Summerfest: A revamped version of the city’s popular Winterfest, this roller skate centered wonderland opens up in time for Memorial Day guests to flock. Enjoy an outdoor roller rink, a 9-hole miniature golf course and plenty of other festivities.